Sunday, November 9, 2008

OUCH!!!

So last night...Sat night we were at my parents house watching Kung Fu Panda when all of a sudden the power flickered on and off really fast and it sounded like something blew up in the backyard....luckily nothing did, but we were curious and confused...within minutes we heard sirens REALLY close by...just then my grandma, who lives like 2 blocks aways and had heard the loud BOOM had called and said that she heard that a power transformer on a nearby street had blown and was on fire. So being the adventure seekers that we are, my mom, brother, tom, & I decided to go see what happened! When we got to the street that my grandma had told us this happened on...nothing was there, so we went a little farther and ended up on the street of the local junior high....where we found flashing lights and the obvious scene of the mysterious BOOM! We parked in the parking lot and walked over to where everything was happening. It was dark, because it was night AND the power in that area was still out, so it was kind of hard to see anything, but we did see a SUV that was sideways on the road and pretty smashed up. Then across the street we see this.....(I didn't have my camera, and it was too dark to take a pic with our cell phones, so I got this on the Internet and saved it in paint and erased the bottom half to give you an idea what I was talking about). We then talked to some fellow adventure seekers and found out the story! A teenage girl had been driving north on 700 West and she was making a left turn and instead of hitting the brake, she hit the gas and ran into a wooden power pole and completely taken out the bottom half, so that the top half that is connected to the power lines was hanging about 8 ft or so off the ground and the bottom half was stuck under the girls car. Well of course that caused the power lines to be hanging and out of place and the transformer had blown and of course caused the power to go out and sparks were flying everywhere! It was one of the craziest accidents I've ever seen! We found out that the girl was ok...pretty shaken up, but I don't think she was hurt and if she was, it wasn't anything too serious! Moral of the story.....drive safe and pay attention to which pedal is the gas and which is the brake! Always drive safe and GOOD NIGHT!!!!!

6 comments:

Katy said...

Wow-that sounds awful! Im glad no one was hurt!

you rock Monica! Thanks for always leaving me fun comments :)

Melissa Ash said...

Hey Monica! Great to read what you are up to! So, did you go on TWO european trips? So, the tour in England sounds like a complete NIGHTMARE! Anyway! Lucky you! You know Mary? How funny! Love that girl! Good to hear from you!

The A Family said...

Hey, glad you found me! It looks like you are doing well. I absolutley love that pumpkin! And you are so lucky to get to go to England, even if it was crazy!

April said...

Wow that is a crazy story! I'm glad the girl was okay! I'm also glad I've never been in accident like that, knock on wood! Thanks for commenting on my stupid picture pet peeve, ha ha! I can't believe people post pictures of themselves like that. Let's leave it to the models to be models. I'm going to add your blog to my list!

Sly Family said...

Hey Monica, I am so glad that you left a comment on my blog. Thanks for your kind words about my little munchkin. I hope all is well with you and your hubby!!!

The A Family said...

Sorry I just changed our blog address here is the new one: http://theafamilyzoo.blogspot.com/